It All Starts with Self-Care
September is Self-Care Awareness Month—reminding us that taking care of ourselves is essential. Many of us neglect self-care in our everyday lives, tending to put others’ needs before our own. This month, we remember that if we are unable to care for ourselves, it is nearly impossible to care for others.
Self-care puts us in a positive frame of mind that translates to good feelings and emotions for others around us. By taking the time to recharge, we improve our outlook and develop significantly lower unhealthy amounts of stress.
Use the month of September to make self-care a part of your daily routine. While many of us think of getting a massage or taking a nature hike when we think of self-care, there are lots of ways to practice being good to yourself. It can be as simple as a conscious breath in the morning or a relaxing bubble bath at the end of a long day. Here are just a few of the many positive actions you can take:
- Make an appointment for a body scan with a dermatologist
- Enjoy the feeling of doing something nice for someone
- Connect with an old friend
- Look through old photos
- Make yourself a happy music playlist
- Add some flowers to your life today
- Have a smartphone-free meal today
- Leave a nice message for a coworker or friend to find
- Make a list of all the things you are grateful for in your life
- Donate some clothes or food
- Make a bucket list of things to do by end of the year
- Make a date night with your significant partner or loved one
- Take a social media break
- Listen to an educational or a personal growth podcast
- Forgive someone you’ve been holding a grudge against
Check Out myStrength
myStrength is a digital program designed to improve your emotional health and help with life’s challenges by supporting positive changes and improving your overall well-being. Click here for more information on myStrength including how to get started.